Monday, October 26, 2015

Taking a Trip

My class and I took a trip last Monday to John Lennon’s studio of photography. I got there just on time to see that I didn’t know where the entrance was. Turns out I was in the back area by his studio, so I had to walk all the way around to find the front. When I walked in he was telling the class about his life. He told us how he makes his money he only has a couple of clients but they are very reliable. By the look of his studio he looked to be living in it which was what I’m mostly sure he was doing. I’d have to admit I would NEVER want my studio to be my home where I sleep and eat. John did portraits and advertising. Now I’m not into that myself but it seems to be working for him. For his line of work he had to build it from the ground up and that’s great for him but not for me, I would rather work at an actual location instead of working as a boss. He showed the class and I his studio in the back of the building and it was large, very large. There was paper all over a wall for back grounds, there was his camera, and there were multiple mac computers with Photoshop on them even, his office was in his studio. He told us a solid week of work Monday through Friday he only shot photographs two of those five days because the rest was billing and composing a shot photograph. He also had an assistant, she seemed very on the ball with that she was doing, she seemed more of the head of customer service at the place. She told us how there have been people that would tell John all these different things they needed done but never had the money to pay for what they asked but, the good part about his assistant was that she could give people options on what they needed and what they could pay for. By the end of the day what I could say was that she was very good at her job and, John knew just what he was doing now would I want to life in a studio, no, but he seems he is doing well for himself and showed us that you don’t need a big area to make things seem as they do in the magazines. He was very down to earth and a insightful man in the world of photography.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to hear observations....his name is Jim Lennon by the way. Make sure to post at least one image for each post in order to get full credit from this point out.

    ReplyDelete