Monday, October 5, 2015

Photography in my life and how it began

My first blog post. To be honest I had no idea what to post. I have to make this blog for a class and at first I thought the whole idea was dumb to be honest. As I was thinking about it though something hit me today. I felt I should go back to my roots, back where photography started for me which was at my high school and try taking some pictures on where it all began for me. I have been a lacrosse player almost my whole life and have loved photography for just as long. Actually in my fifth grade year book I wrote that I wanted to be a photographer. There was nothing wrong with either of the two till I hit sophomore year in high school. Thats where I took my first photo class with my teacher Mr. Schoch. He was the greatest photo teacher I personally have ever had mostly because he never cared whatYOUR Style was he just cared that it looked nice and was what you were going for. He also never even told me what he ever shot in his life to end him as a teacher there, he never brought up his own photography. Then in junior year I had two photo classes for Mr. Schoch, photo two and advanced photo I begged him to not make me do twice the work for both his classes and that some of the work should count for the other class but he was not buying it one bit so I had twice the work then I thought I would. Some of the projects were cool and some of them I could not get myself to do for the life of me. Mr. Schoch even joked around with the whole class because I took one very professional picture of a sunset and made a 3D cube that looked like a five year old made it and he made fun of me to the whole class, but that was the teacher student relationship we had. Even later in that year or maybe in the first year I had him I took a photograph of a light bulb and he could not believe that I took it because of how well it came out, he checked the source of the photograph to see it came from my camera and it "Schoched" him. Then in senior year I went to boces for photography and that program was a flat joke. The only thing that really got me through that year was a couple of good friends one of which was named Angela Gutschwager and she taught me more then the teacher that was there. Even thought our photography is different she was what made it a great photography experience. Heres a link to her flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/angela-gutschwager/, Another person to get me through the year was Brianna LaShier and where she posts her photography up is on her twitter page https://twitter.com/BriannaLaShier. Then I had my first day of college and by accident I chose the best teacher for my college photo one class... Mr. Schoch. Mr. Schoch does not know it but one day he is going to give me a camera of his, a kodak one thats around 100 years old and those were some of the coolest photographs I took and still have to this day.

1 comment: